Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Trek is Back

I really wasn't sure going into the theater that I would like the new "Star Trek". After all, I was there for the original, short-lived series that started it all, and through the syndicated rebirth and finally the big screen series that launched all those other iterations of the Roddenberry universe. If it was true to the original, how much more was there to add to that story line without being repetitious? If it went its own way, on the other hand, where would all those details us trekkers have come to expect end up? A little nod or homage here and there wouldn't really do.

Happily, J.J. Abrams zeroed in on the soul of Star Trek, its characters, and then cast an extraordinary group of actors who kept them intact, and placed them into a fresh and promising place, where anything is possible in future stories.


I don't want to be a spoiler for the five people who haven't seen it yet, so I'll try to be vague on plot points...but we knew our old Friends in their new incarnations without having to be introduced by name. And, as a totally new story line emerged, we kept bumping into bits and pieces of the old universe we've come to know over the years, usually when it was least expected.

The result: a new franchise, which I believe will attract us old-school trekkers and a new generation (pardon the pun) of fans to carry it well beyond the original five-year mission (which is now an ongoing mission).

And there are lots of permutations out there waiting to be re-visited, thanks to a really clever plot device that literally reboots everything:

If you haven't seen it, I recommend you do...don't wait for the DVD. You'll want to be immersed in this one. Find the biggest screen you can, and enjoy.

Blog at ya later
-Geezerguy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loneduck and I plan to go see it next week while my son is visiting. If we can get into the theater that is. I hear its been sold out quite a bit. We're looking very forward to it.

Yarntangler said...

I had to work to become a Trek fan back in the day. But this was worth all those reruns! I loved this movie-2 nights in a row! I have never done that before.