Tuesday, December 2, 2008

So Long Turkey, Hello Fruit Cake

Well, here we are at the beginning of the Official Christmas season, still digesting the last of the Thanksgiving turkey and the news that we’ve been in a recession since last December. We didn’t know we were in a recession all last year, of course, so we did fine till somebody opened his big mouth, and now look. Boy, you’d think people could just keep some things to themselves.

Anyway, ’tis the Season, and we’ll be hearing the sounds of Christmas at Wal Mart and K Mart and throughout Retail America from now on. We all know the words, and we’ll all be hearing them in our heads consciously or not, all season long.

I know I get a tear in my eye when I hear Yorgi Yorgesson’s timeless I Yust Go Nutz at Christmas, and Bobby “Boris” Picket’s Monster’s Holiday. And who can forget lyrics like:

When Santa got stuck in the chimney, he began to shout
“You girls and boys won’t get any toys,
If you don’t pull me out.
My beard is black, there’s soot in my sack,
My nose is tickling too.”
When Santa got stuck up the chimney-
Achoo! Achoo! Achoo!
(thanks to “jessboo from England for sharing on snopes.com)

Yes, we all get a little sentimental with the classics like Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer and I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. It just seems to get us in the mood for a festive time, doesn’t it?

I know I’ve pretty much decided to look for some off-beat Christmas stuff for this month’s set of blogs, but it just seemed right to start off on a more traditional note.
Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

4 comments:

spiritualastronomer said...

Aw. c'mon Geezerguy, don't dis my favorite Christmas carol--Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer! "You can say there's no such things as Santa, but for me and Grandpa, we believe."

Yarntangler said...

Then there's always,
"Meow meow meow.
Meow meow meow.
Meow meow meow meow meow!
Meow meow meow meow meow meow .
Meow meow, meow - meow -meow!"

Anonymous said...

You'll have to ask Loneduck to do "twas the night before christmas" as a RAP song... yup, he does it.. I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard..

Your blogs always make me smile.. thank you Geezer

Unknown said...

if I can trow my two cents in i vote for "christmas at ground zero" and the night Santa went crazy"
as caroll of the millenium.

TLD