Friday, April 3, 2009

Cat Duty

I’m about to brave evening traffic, sans Tom-Tom, for the sake of three cats who pretty much tolerate my services. I am allowed to clean the litter box, check the water, and replenish the food, provided I do it discreetly. You might think this is a bit much to put up with…but there are some good reasons to get behind the wheel and brave the streets of Tucson. To wit:
  • The cats belong to my temporarily absent son, who owns a big screen TV and lots of movies.
  • I am obligated, by reason of long-term marriage, to get the laundry done by a Yarntangler-imposed deadline.
  • I am shamelessly borrowing my son and daughter-in-law’s nice new washer and dryer.
  • Those appliances and the aforementioned TV can operate simultaneously.

So, off we go; me and the laundry headed across town with the setting sun in my eyes and the Tucson work force driving home with a vengeance. I try to imagine the GPS in its spot on the windshield, and the little female voice telling me to take the Interstate “Toward El Pahsaw”.

Eventually I make it to the house. Their Royal Highnesses are sprawled with their accustomed aplomb, and giving me the “Oh, are you here again?” look. I get the litter box cleaned, and check the food, and they grant silent, though reluctant, approval.

I smile to myself, start the laundry, and head for the living room, where the sequel to my guilty pleasure Special-Effects Fest awaits.

Time passes, my son comes home and we put on an extra movie, and eventually I make it back to the rig, and find…

…I have exactly fifteen minutes to get my blog posted for today, or forever live with the shame of not making it through day 3 of the April challenge. So, with no further ado, I present today’s blog:
(see above)

Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

3 comments:

Old Newsie said...

Ain't it grand to have three adoring cats tolerating you?
Ain't it grand to have Yarntangler around to impose deadlines?
Ain;t it grand to have a son providing you with that big screen and all those movies?
Ain't it grand to make friends with all those folks rushing home to their deadline-issuing missus'es?
Now why the heck don't you postpone that crosstown trip to your provider's house until most of the commuters have rushed by?

spiritualastronomer said...

Probably because the cats would send out a posse!

Anonymous said...

Don't feel to bad Geezerguy. One of our 3 cats(Tia-Marie) for some reason isnt't crazy about him UNLESS he has food, then he is her best friend.. Cats, can't live with em, can't live without em... Or is that wives?? lol