Thursday, April 2, 2009

Getting Around in Spite of Myself

Since moving into the city this week, I’ve been doing a little more driving in traffic than I care to. I’m not a big fan of multiple lanes, and fast-moving streams of rival vehicles within inches of me as I try to pick my way over an unfamiliar route.

Modern technology came to my aid up until this week, and I guess I got a little spoiled. My son let me borrow his Tom-Tom, which tells you how to get around, turn by turn. It even gives you a heads-up on which direction you’ll be turning next, so you can change lanes before your fellow travelers spot your out-of-state plate, and lock you out. We also enjoy the sexy female voice’s often wretched attempt to pronounce street names.

Unfortunately for me, my son took the Tom-Tom with him on a recent trip, so now I’m back to the old Chamber of Commerce map (very creative and entertaining, but missing a few thousand crucial details).

Later this week, I’ll probably discuss driving in Tucson a bit more, but for today, I’ll just say I miss the Tom-Tom. I’ll also talk about my son’s cats, with whose maintenance I have been entrusted, my son’s extensive collection of movies, and the relationship between the two. For now, I’ll just say that I have not seen a street sign like this yet in Tucson:

…But given the ongoing improvements along Interstate 10, I expect to any time now.
Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

3 comments:

Yarntangler said...

've noticed you don't mind it when SHE tells you where to go!

Anonymous said...

Oh do I know what you mean Geezerguy! I LOVE to drive, but I can honestly say when your in an area that your not familiar with, YIKES.... You need four eyes instead of two, co-pilot comes in handy for that.( or six even, Clancccyyy where are ya??) You got to use a Tom Tom! How cool is that. Yarntangler, ANYONE else can tell our hubby's where to go and they don't mind. Do they have one with a sexy guys voice for us lady's?

Old Newsie said...

Better be careful about that sexy voice telling you where to go - Yarntangler might put words into her mouth one day and you might not like to hear that sexy voice anymore