Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Adventure Continues

The word associated with technological problems that I like the least is “Intermittent”.

That’s the word that tells you not only will you probably not get to the bottom of whatever it is that’s causing the malfunction, but if anybody tries to fix it, you are guaranteed to look like a total boob* in that person’s eyes. In describing my rig’s ongoing technological conspiracy (see yesterday’s masterpiece), I once again underestimated the prowess of Winnebagga Antiquis.

A friend from work and a nearby section of the Park where we are staying kindly agreed to take a look at our failing furnace this morning, and came over bright and early. When he asked me to turn it on, I explained how the thing blew only cold air. We were discussing possible causes, and he was undoing the screws that hold the lid on, when…you know what‘s coming, right? The burner lit. Just out of the blue.

He was very nice about it. He smiled. I thanked him, and he headed home, still smiling. So here I sit…warm again. My wife is warm again. And I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. Will it work next time? Will it wait until it’s Really cold tonight and not work again? What’ll it do?

Nobody knows.

It’s intermittent.

But somewhere in the background, just under the constant sound of that cold wind outside, every once in a while it seems I can hear a faint “heh-heh-heh”.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.
Blog at ya later
-Geezerguy

*Archaic term formerly used to designate a fool or absolute incompetent. Current usage refers to something completely different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds ALL to familiar.... Loneduck and I will be keeping fingers and toes crossed that the other shoe doesn't drop on ya! Its always a good thing for the Mrs to be warm.. Wife happy... Hubby happy.. :D

Yarntangler said...

I really don't want to have to tell him it stopped again tonight. He'll find out in the morning. Sigh

Sage Words said...

Sounds like every computer I've ever worked on.

Except the ones I killed outright. They were the lucky ones!



-Sage Words