Saturday, November 29, 2008

Some Random Seasonal Thoughts

It looks like the warm days are about over. We might get some snow by tomorrow, and the nights have been getting colder. Daytime too, today. We’re beginning to appreciate the virtues of propane, and furnaces that work (thanks to my friend Joel, who gave ours the magic touch a week ago).

Now the Christmas Movies begin. All day, every day from now ’till Christmas. How many ways can you tell the Scrooge story? It would be interesting to count the versions some year, and compile a list. I prefer the older ones…In particular the movie with Alistair Cook, originally entitled “Scrooge”, but marketed these days as “A Christmas Carol”, although the original title is still what you see when the movie starts.

Of course we’ll be watching “Miracle on 34th Street” and “It’s a Wonderful Life”, where the original Bert and Ernie showed up, long before Sesame Street.

The classics always bring the most intense feelings of the season, at least for me. “A Christmas Story” complete with the leg lamp has become a classic in my lifetime…and reminds me most of Christmas when I was a boy. These days, films like “The Polar Express” and “Elf” appeal to the youngsters, and will probably become classics some day. But I prefer the older films: long on sentiment and not too demanding on the intellect…after all who wants to think a lot when you’re stuffed with turkey and half dozing.

I’ll probably be blogging more about Christmas as the day approaches… right now, with the cold weather just moving in, I’m more interested in preparations: finding good hiding places for presents (a challenge in a motor home), and coming up with mobile-type decorations (although that’s pretty much my wife’s part). I have already been informed I’ll be putting up lights tomorrow… so the preparations are officially underway.

Happy pre-Holidays.
Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

2 comments:

Yarntangler said...

Since I decided against the live tree, I don't think you'll have too much to complain about.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see pictures of you, the mrs and of course Clancy in your yule tide RV.

I'm hoping that Loneduck and I will be able to watch some of the classics on a weekend when he is home.. My favorite is Rudolph( teehee)...