Friday, November 21, 2008

Revenge of the Rig

OK, so yesterday I did my semi-monthly political rant, and was reminded of why I stay away from CNN most of the time. Today’s rant is something I really can’t get away from. I live with it.

I’m talking, of course, about the eternal conspiracy of technology against those who rely upon it. There have been several minor examples of this conspiracy recently here in Coffeyville, where we are currently making our home…but I’m convinced the RV simply threw them out so I’d be lulled into a false sense of security.

For example, our water pump went out a week ago. Not a major thing, because we had our connection with the Park system, and our friendly neighbor the RV Fix-it guy was able to easily switch out our pump before the weather got freezing, and we had to disconnect. Tank’s full, all is well. We also stocked up on propane, made sure the water heater was working, got some gasoline additive, tested out the Gen-set. All good.

Then, the RV Fix-it guy decided to leave. As he headed down the road, our trusty Winnebago was watching (we’d parked facing the exit to our section of the park, foolishly forgetting the implications).

He hadn’t turned the corner onto the highway before the Big Whammy came along. Winnie decided to disable our propane furnace. It had also been keeping track of the weather forecasts, and withheld it’s coup de gras until the temperatures plunged below freezing. (When my wife asked what that strange sound from beneath the rig was, I refrained from telling her the truth. I said there was probably something caught in the fan blades or something…but I knew it was just the furnace’s version of “Heh-Heh-Heh.” I’d heard it before, from the black water tank, but that’s another story.)

So here we sit, all squared away for Thanksgiving, with a bum furnace, and the nearest RV repair place about an hour’s drive away in Oklahoma. I’d say more, but it’s almost time for work, so I’ll break out the electric heaters and head down the road. We’ve got a couple of freezing days to go before we can head south in search of a Techno-healer.
Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

2 comments:

Yarntangler said...

O well, I said I wanted to go back to Bartlesville! But why do these things wait until it gets really cold?

Sage Words said...

Maybe you could get Ted Stevens to come down and filibuster into your air ducts! Not only would that keep you plenty warm, but it would give the poor guy a job. I hear he's out of work!

-Sage Words