Monday, November 17, 2008

The Great Illustrated Adventure

I just got to thinking about how turning down the right road can bring you an adventure in life you never expected, and make it just that much richer. Earlier this year, we had one such moment, as we were leaving the Gypsy Journal rally in Arizona. It was one of those moments when something caught my eye, and I thought, “Why not just take a quick detour and see what it is?”
This is what caught my eye:

I had no Idea what it was, but there seemed to be a serviceably wide road leading to it, so, what the Heck?
I made the turn…and found an unexpected adventure.
I found, first of all, that this was not the kind of road I’d been expecting, and specifically that not all road surfaces are in fact, paved. Combine that new information with a rather steady rain the previous night, and this is the result:

Now, if we seem to be listing a bit in this shot, it’s not because I had the camera at a bad angle. I stepped out to investigate, and see if I could nudge the rig a little…after all, how deep can the mud be? Right?
Well, It was this deep in the front:


And this deep in the rear:
And this deep where I was standing to get a look at the situation:




As you can imagine, I was feeling a bit distraught by the whole situation, but Yarntangler and Clancy lent me some fine moral support:
(Click for larger image, so you can see the sympathetic expressions on both their faces)

…And I got through just fine. We made a few calls, and soon, this guy came...

to the rescue:
And when it was all over, and the nice tow truck guy had gone, I still couldn’t figure out what the heck that thing was.


But I guess there are some questions in life that aren’t meant to be answered. So we’ve left that inquiry for another time, and in another vehicle.
That’s my first attempt at a pictorial tale. Hope you like it.
Blog at ya later,
-Geezerguy

4 comments:

Lee said...

That was a great picture story and a nightmare every RVer would hate to be in. My husband would really be saying all those curse words if we were in that situation. lol
Lee

Unknown said...

it is a very simple formula Geez, Dirt + Rain = Mud
couple that with the wght of your rig and you get depth. but you are lucky to have such a sympathetic and humble wife
TLD

Yarntangler said...

But...Did you get in trouble that time?

Sage Words said...

Maybe then next RV you buy should have tank treads...

Just a thought!

(Great blog, by the way!)


-Sage Words